Code by Kevin

About
Code by Kevin, Programming, code, business, and other pursuits

Your Host
Kevin Walzer, software developer.



Home

Subscribe to RSS Feed
Get a syndicated feed of my weblog.

Archives
2020
2019
2018
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006

Categories
Business
Software
General

Privacy Policy

Site design: Skeleton

 

Fri, 12 Apr 2013

Perl isn't a pearl

Most of my work with scripting languages has been with Tcl and Python. Both are powerful languages, work well on OS X, have nice support for the Tk GUI toolkit, and well-defined libraries for deploying desktop apps in an easy-to-install fashion for end users.

Partly out of a desire for a new challenge, and partly to access a different range of capabilities than Python and Tcl offer, I've tried two different languages: Ruby and Perl. Ruby, while a powerful language and with excellent Tk bindings, proved to be a disappointment for reasons outlined here: poor desktop deployment tools for OS X. In that same blog entry, I added that I would be giving Perl a try next.

My time with Perl has been less of a disappointment than Ruby--I enjoy the language and have made it a part of my software business, particularly with enhancing my websites and providing the server side of one of my iPhone apps. I don't regret learning the language. But I've found Perl to be less effective as a desktop development language.

Perl's support for the Tk framework, which is one reason I decided to try it, is quirky and less robust than I expected. Perl's native support for Tk is primarily maintained by ActiveState, an excellent software company that provides commercial support for many scripting languages and which earns a good deal of income from its developer tools. While ActiveState's Perl Tkx module is open-source, it seems to work best with ActiveState's own proprietary tools; it has less of a constituency among developers who use Perl's open-source deployment tools, such as pp. Trying to wrap simple Perl scripts, I've had unexpected results (such as the script linking to the first version of Tk it finds on my system, even though it wasn't built against that version; or crashing unexpectedly when it finds a different version of Tk). Unexpected results aren't necessarily a surprise, but significantly, I've also been able to find little online discussion of the issues I've found; my queries to mailing lists on some of these issues have gone unanswered. That's a bad sign.

As a result, I have decided to stick with my current development languages, Tcl and Python; both have better community support for desktop Mac deployment, and troubleshooting, than either Perl or Ruby.

[/general] permanent link